What Happens if My Ex Stops Paying Child Support?

During the divorce process, one parent is usually ordered to pay child support. Generally, the receiving parent is the person with which the children spend most of their time since it is assumed that parent is already paying their fair share of support. If your former spouse stopped paying child support, however, you may find yourself in a financial predicament and will need to seek legal representation to address it.

Enforcing the Child Support Order

First, if you are the paying parent and lost your job, making it impossible for you to fulfill your child support obligations, you must petition the court to reduce or pause your child support payments until you secure a new job. The court will not excuse overdue payments, so it is important to act quickly. If you are the receiving parent and your former spouse refuses to pay child support, you should not hesitate to take legal action.

Family courts take child support very seriously. If your former spouse stops making payments, the court may:

  • Withholding your former spouse’s federal tax refunds
  • Seizing your former spouse’s property
  • Garnishing your former spouse’s wages
  • Suspending your former spouse’s occupational license
  • Revoking your former spouse’s driver’s license
  • Suspending your former spouse’s business license

Additionally, if your former spouse owes more than $2,500 in child support, the U.S. Department of State may deny issuance of a passport. Even if your former spouse moves out of state, there are ways for a parent to ensure the non-custodial parent makes these payments under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). However, it is crucial you hire an experienced family law attorney to help you navigate the steps of this complex legal process.

Discuss the Details of Your Child Support Enforcement Case with a Knowledgeable Attorney

If your former spouse stopped paying child support, it is crucial to secure skilled legal guidance to enforce the order and ensure you receive the payments you are entitled to. At Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A., our family law team is prepared to provide you with the experienced legal counsel you need during this difficult time. We understand the strain this can put on your finances and will work diligently on your behalf to secure the results you need for your case.

Reach out to our law office today at (727) 245-9009 to set up an initial consultation with a member of our team.