Parental Alienation

Parental Alienation: Sabotaging the Parent-Child Relationship

Parental alienation is a heartbreaking issue that can occur in any family, and it can have long-lasting effects on the parent-child relationship. It happens when one parent intentionally tries to turn the child against the other parent, often by making negative comments about them or limiting their contact with the child.

If you suspect that your child’s other parent is sabotaging your relationship with your child, it's important to understand what may be happening and take appropriate legal action. Let’s discuss how to recognize the signs of parental alienation and how you can protect your relationship with your child.

What Are the Signs of Parental Alienation?

The first step in protecting your relationship with your child is recognizing the signs of parental alienation.

Some common signs include the following:

  • Your child seems to have an unreasonable dislike or hatred towards you without any valid reason.
  • Your child makes negative comments about you or refuses to spend time with you.
  • Your co-parent is constantly bad-mouthing you in front of your child.
  • Your co-parent limits your contact with your child or tries to interfere with your parenting time.

If you notice any of these signs, it's important to take action to address the issue.

Document Everything

If you suspect that you are experiencing parental alienation, it's important to document everything. Keep a record of any negative comments your co-parent makes about you, as well as any attempts to limit your contact with your child. This documentation can be helpful if you need to take legal action to protect your relationship with your child.

Seek Professional Help

Parental alienation can be a complex issue, and it's important to seek professional help if you suspect that you or your child is experiencing it. A therapist or counselor can help you and your child work through the emotional trauma of parental alienation and develop strategies for improving your relationship.

Take Legal Action

If you've exhausted all other options and your co-parent continues to engage in parental alienation, it may be necessary to take legal action. An experienced family law attorney can help you navigate the legal system and protect your relationship with your child.

An attorney can help you address your concerns about parental alienation by petitioning the court to modify your current custody or visitation agreement. Your child can be assigned more time with you to help repair a bond that may have been intentionally damaged by the other parent.

If you need assistance with parental alienation or any other family law issue, contact Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A. Our experienced attorneys are here to help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation.