Can You Modify a Divorce Decree in Florida?

When certain circumstances significantly change, you can file a petition to modify the terms of your divorce decree. Although it may seem like the terms of your divorce decree are final forever, a judge can modify them at any time if they believe there is substantial cause to do so.

Pursuing a post-judgment modification for divorce, however, requires assistance from an experienced attorney. Your lawyer can provide the legal counsel you need to fully understand your rights whether you seek a modification or intend to defend against your ex-spouse’s petition.

What Can I Modify After My Divorce Is Settled?

Almost any aspect of your divorce decree can be reconsidered by the court at a later date. That said, most post-judgment modifications focus on alimony, child custody, and child support.

Qualifying for a Post-Judgment Modification

As previously mentioned, the reason for requesting a modification to your divorce decree must be substantial enough to warrant the modification. That often requires a significant change in the circumstances surrounding an issue previously decided in court.

Examples of significant changes in circumstances can include the following:

  • A change in either ex-spouse’s income of 15% or greater
  • A child’s development of a disability or need for increased medical care
  • A parent’s substantial relocation (in distance) from the other parent
  • The remarriage or cohabitation of a person receiving alimony

A petition for a post-judgment modification is unlikely to succeed if someone is merely upset with the terms of their divorce decree. In this case, how someone feels about how a judge ruled on issues in their divorce is not what a modification is for; rather, such feelings and disagreements with the court can be addressed in an appeal.

Get Help for Post-Judgment Modification

Whether you wish to alter the terms of your divorce decree or fight to keep them as they are, you can seek legal guidance and support from Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A.

Our attorneys have assisted clients in a variety of family law issues, including post-judgment modification matters. If you need to take legal action or build a defense to it, consider reaching out to our capable lawyers today.

Get started now by contacting Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A. and requesting a consultation.