It is rarely easy to make the decision to divorce and it can be even more overwhelming to put this plan into action, especially since most are not familiar with the legal process. You are not alone, however, and there are ways for individuals to prepare for a divorce filing that will make the situation seem far less intimidating.
Below are some tips on how you can prepare for a divorce filing:
- Consult with an attorney: Family law is complex, especially if your case involves children or a business, so consulting with an attorney before you begin the process of filing for a divorce is critical. He or she will be able to guide you through the process, make sure all proceedings are professional and legal, and guide you through the process to help you make good decisions that might be clouded by emotion. This is one thing you definitely do not want to tackle on your own.
- Speak with your spouse: If you are not in a toxic or abusive marriage, and you and your spouse mutually came to the decision to divorce, you could divorce amicably by discussing the important matters, such as child custody, spousal support, and property division. Make sure you consult with your attorney before you agree to anything.
- Get your finances in order: Regardless of how amicable your split ends up being, you are going to need to gather all records of your finances. This includes bank statements from checking and saving accounts, credit card statements, records of mortgage payments, vehicle titles, records of owed debts, and income tax returns.
- Start saving: Chances are you and your spouse share a bank account, so now is the time to create your own account under your own name and begin saving. This is especially crucial now that you will be facing lawyer fees and possibly court fees, which can add up over the course of divorce proceedings.
- Plan for a new routine: Consider working with a planner to work on a new budget for how you plan on supporting yourself after your divorce. You will no longer have the benefit of two incomes or whatever extra help your spouse might provide, so it is important to be prepared for the new future ahead.
Divorce Attorney in Clearwater
At Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A., our family law attorneys in Clearwater understand the emotional weight of making the decision to go through with a divorce. We will represent you in all matters of family law with the respect, sensitivity, and compassion you deserve. There is no case that is too simple or complex for our legal team to handle. Do not go through this alone.
Contact our office at (727) 245-9009for the legal guidance you deserve.