What Happens If I Ignore a Traffic Ticket in Florida?

When you get a traffic ticket, ignoring it should never be your plan to deal with it. If you ignore a traffic ticket in Florida, you risk facing more serious penalties and turning a traffic violation into a criminal matter.

If you fail to pay your fine or appear in court as required, your driver’s license may be suspended, and the judge may issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Additionally, if you do not take care of any citations issued by law enforcement officers within 30 days of receiving them, you may be charged with a misdemeanor.

Penalties for Failing to Appear in Court

If you are found guilty of failing to comply with a citation, you could face fines of up to $500 and even jail time of up to 60 days. This makes it very important that you take the necessary steps to respond to any traffic tickets received promptly so that penalties can be avoided or minimized.

What If I Can’t Make My Traffic Court Date?

Even if you cannot make your court date, it is important to contact your local courthouse for instructions on how to proceed. Failing to appear in court when summoned could result in a bench warrant being issued, which carries additional penalties and may be difficult to resolve.

Pay attention to any tickets received and read all the instructions carefully so that you do not end up with costly fines or even jail time due to ignorance of the law. Take action immediately and contact the proper authorities as soon as possible if you receive a ticket in Florida. Remember: Ignoring a traffic ticket in Florida can have serious consequences.

Get Legal Assistance

You may need help dealing with a traffic ticket or the consequences of failing to appear in court. For legal advice and services that you can count on, reach out to Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A. We have experience fighting traffic violations and can assist clients with criminal defense matters as well. The next time you find yourself in a difficult legal situation, don’t leave it to pure chance – contact us for experienced assistance!

For more information, contact Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A. online today.