We continue to be open for business, however because of COVID-19, consultations can be held by telephone or video. 
Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

What Is the Difference Between Sealing and Expunging Criminal Records?

Anyone can make a bad decision and end up with a criminal record; even a small infraction can stay on your record for the rest of your life. This can create problems when you look for employment, a place to live, or even register for higher education. However, there are a few ways to have your record sealed or expunged.

When a record is sealed, it is restricted from public view; only a certain group of people can access it. Conversely, when a record is expunged, the criminal offense on file is sealed, or effective erased.

In both cases, you can claim that you have never been convicted of a crime. However, a sealed record can be re-opened with a court order at any time.

Eligibility for Expungement

Typically, juvenile records are sealed once the person turns 18. To get a record expunged entirely, your case must have been dismissed or deferred.

The state of Florida will consider expunging your record if:

  1. the arrest was a mistake;
  2. you were a juvenile when you committed the crime;
  3. the crime was committed due to self-defense;
  4. you were the victim of human trafficking;
  5. you are 26 and you were never charged or convicted with a subsequent crime; or
  6. you are between the ages of 18 to 21 and you have not been charged or convicted of a subsequent crime for 5 years.

Expungement Procedure

You must file a petition for expungement in the same court your criminal prosecution took place. This petition will only address a single crime; if you have more than one conviction you will need to file multiple petitions.

Contact Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A.

Our criminal defense attorneys have a combined total of 35+ years of legal experience. Our team of attorneys are able to build strong effective defense strategies for our clients. No matter the case; if there is a possibility for your case to be sealed or expunged, we will fight for your rights.

Call our firm today at (727) 245-9009 or contact us online for a case evaluation.