How to Establish Paternity in Florida

When a child is born to married parents, the law rarely questions who the child’s father is. However, if a woman is unmarried when she has a child, paternity must be established because it holds numerous advantages for both parents and the child.

How is Paternity Established?

There are many ways to establish paternity in Florida. If you want an easy and affordable paternity process, it’s important to hire a paternity lawyer to assist you. Paternity can be established by declaring the father on the child’s birth certificate. Most states allow fathers to sign a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. If unwed parents do not place a paternal name on the birth certificate, they have the option of preparing a paternal statement. Otherwise, unmarried couples may prepare an informal document that includes basic information about both parents and the child’s birth. This informal document is signed in the presence of a notary and filed with the nearest family court.

Petition to Establish Paternity

If for some reason the mother is unwilling to indicate the father, he may petition with the courts. Once the petition is filed, the mother receives a court order requiring a response. If she continues to deny the father, DNA testing and other means may be taken in order to prove paternity. In most cases, it is advisable to file a petition with the court as soon as the baby is born.

Benefits of Establishing Paternity

There are several benefits associated with paternity establishment:

  • It enables the father’s name to be placed on the birth certificate.
  • The child has access to medical records and documented history of both sides of his/her family.
  • If legitimized, the father is able to share equal custody and visitation rights with the mother.
  • The child is eligible to qualify for financial benefits from the father such as child support and social security programs.

No matter what your circumstances may be, if you wish to establish paternity in Florida, please contact our Clearwater paternity lawyers at Tinny, Meyer & Piccarreto, P.A. today.

Call (727) 245-9009 or contact us online to make an appointment. We serve clients throughout Clearwater, St. Petersburg, and Hillsborough Counties.